SSC provides one of Europe's largest testing areas to test drop bodies / Free Falling Units in their relevant environment.
A 5 200 km2 large unihabited ground area with a 6 600 km2 restricted airspace from GND to UNL gives unprecedented possibilities to test and operate both vehicles and sensors.
Depending on the chosen vehicle, SSC gives access to altitudes between 0 and more than 260km for atmospheric research or aerodynamic drop tests.
- Helicopter: 0 - 300kg Drop Mass; up to 5km drop altitude
- Stratospheric Balloon: 0 - 500kg Drop Mass; up to 35km drop altitude
- Sounding Rocket: 0 - 25kg Drop Mass; 80 - 260km drop altitude
- LADT and HADT / EXOMARS (ESA) - Helicopter/Balloon
- SPIDER (KTH / SNSA)
- D-Send Program (JAXA)
- REXUS Program (SNSA / DLR / ESA)
- SmartFish (ESA)
The facilities are located on SSC Esrange and provide well sized and temperated preparation areas, offices, equipped biological laboratories and workshops as well as hotel and restaurant on site.